Monday, February 20, 2012

A Bit More Progress

Another bad weather day -- about a foot of snow, but I was able to make a bit more progress.   In the photo at left, you can see the bending mold, now on a stand with the clamps installed.  I made them from scrap oak, but just about any wood will do.  The clamp at the waist has been contoured on the bottom to fit the waist snugly.  I did this on the bench sander, just rocking it back and forth, and checking it against the mold until it was about right.  Although it is not visible, the far post passes through a slot, not simply a hole.  When I had drilled the holes for the posts, I simply cut down with a gents saw into the hole.   This allows one to position it more quickly, a necessity if you are using the Sloan method of bending -- essentially boiling the sides until they are pliable, and clamping them into a bending mold like the above.  I have cracked several sides attempting it, and wouldn't recommend it, but then again Sloan has built more guitars than I will likely ever build. 

In the photo at right, you can see the completed mold.  I decided against the strap clamp for a couple of reasons.  First, they were too stretchy.  As I would tighten the extenders, it opened up the mold.  Second, the arrangement visible in the photos gave the mold greater stiffness.  Basically, it is simply a piece of 1/2 birch ply, tacked and glued on one side, bolted on the other with a 3/8th inch bolt.  Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing arrangement, but it works like a champ.

You can see the extenders below.  It is a simple arrangement as well, and a number of luthiers use something similar.  Essentially, it is a 3/8th by 16 threaded rod inserted into a 1/2 steel tube.  Both are available at the local hardware store.  At either end, the rod and the tube are epoxied into the blocks.  When the wing nut is tightened against the steel tube, it extends and puts pressure against the side in the mold. 


To make them, I laminated three scraps of 3/4 MDF, and from that cut six blocks to size.  Using the mold, I marked the contour on each block, and again shaped them on the bench sander to match the contour of the mold.  I then drilled the 3/8 inch hole on one side, the 1/2 inch hole on the other, about 2/3 of the way through the block. 

I then epoxied the steel rod into the 1/2 hole, and cut it off at about the center line of the mold, or where the two halves of the mold come together.  Since the holes were not precisely to the same depth, this worked well, and kept a sense of symmetry.
For the threaded rods, I did the same.  I epoxied one end into the block, then marked it at about one inch in from the opposite block.  In other words, the rod extends into the tube to about one inch in from the tube-side block.  This allows for enough rod in the tube to keep it straight, but also enough in and out play to remove the extenders when the kerfing has been installed on the side. 

The contoured end of the blocks were covered with cork.  The inside contour of the mold was also covered with cork.  It not only makes it all prettier, but smooths out some of the differences between the three layers of the mold and provides a protective cushion.  It's probably not necessary, but I do it regardless.  The cork comes in a roll and can be purchased in places like hobby lobby.  I cut the strips over-sized by about 1/4 inch.  Although the cork came with an adhesive, I still sprayed the interior of the mold with contact cement, waited for that to dry, and installed it carefully.  I then trimmed the excess away with a sharp exacto knife, and rounded it over with a file.        

No comments:

Post a Comment