Sunday, January 15, 2012

Rosette


I finished the rosette, almost.  There is still a little tweaking that I need to do at the joints of the wafers, but it is essentially what it will be.  The tile at the top is there primarily as reinforcement and fill.

The first step, of course, is layout.  To do this, I used my template, which has already be scribed, and traced the outline on the sound board.  I am going for a parlor-type guitar, which I interpret to mean a steel string guitar with classical like dimensions.  It also suits me because I play finger-style, and find myself switching between classical and steel strings, so some continuity in the dimensions works for me.  Consequently, I am using a 25 and 11/32nd inch scale length.  There are all sorts of ways of coming at this, but I have found that one purchase has repaid itself several times.  Get a fret rule from LMI.   Again, I am going for classical like dimensions, so I placed the 12th fret line at the top of the sound board, and marked the location of the 22nd fret on the center-line (the glue seam).  With my compass set at 1 7/8th inch diameter, I scribed the circle for the sound hole.

Once I had the tiles set out in the working scrap, which you can see beneath the rosette, the whole process became rather simple.  I set the router so it would ride within the channel that I had cut to fit the tiles, set the depth to just a whisker (about 1/64th of an inch) shy of the total depth of the tiles, double checked (actually, quadruple checked) to make sure that I would not be cutting through the soundboard at that depth, and then made the cut, testing first where it would be covered by the fretboard.  Once the initial cut had been made, I eased it out and in using the precision adjustment on my router jig to accommodate the tiles and the perfling strips.  When I was finished, I gave the rosette channel a coat of shellac to prevent bleed out from the glue.

I put all the tiles and perfling in place, leaving slight gaps at the seams so I could lift them out, one by one.  Beginning at the bottom of the rosette, I would lift out one tile, run a bead of superglue along each of the perfling strips.  I then replace and quickly position the tile between the perfling strips.  I kept going I had worked up both sides of the rosette.  I wiped away any squeeze out, and pressed the tiles into place with my fingers until the glue set.    

Before I cut out the sound hole, I did a couple of things.  First, using my template, I transferred the outline of the guitar to the back of the sound board.  That was a simple matter of using the 1/4 hole for the router pivot, and a similar hole at the center of the sound hole in my template.  When sanding the back, make sure that you never sand away the lines that they cannot be retraced.  I also leveled the rosette.  Nothing fancy there, I just used my trusty card scraper, newly sharpened, taking light passes until the rosette was level with the sound board.   I then sanded it using 120 grit sandpaper on my sanding block.  A word of advice, never sand without a sanding block.  It's amazing how quickly one can cut shallow hollows sanding without a block.  Mine is just a scrap of cherry with a cork face.  I wrap the sandpaper over it and hold it in place as I sand.

To cut out the sound hole, I swapped the 1/4 inch bit in my router to a 1/8th inch bit, made the adjustments so there would be a lip of redwood approximately 1/8th inch wide, made an initial cut, then cut through.   Some have jigs to round over the edge of the sound hole.  I don't.  I just use a light touch with some hand held sandpaper.  I can't tell the difference.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment