Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Prepping and Joining the Plates

I re-sawed the plates for the sound board at the college before the Christmas break.  I ran them through the thickness sander until they were approximately the right thickness, then used my jointer to prepare the joint.  In the absence of a jointer, one could use a shooting board, and I know that some luthiers prefer the hand method regardless.  I do have a jointer, however, and it works perfectly fine.  I take the two book matched plates, and run them over the jointer together and I get a tight joint that stand up to the light test (holding the joint together and trying to see light through it).  My secondary test is that it squeezes out glue uniformly along its entire length.  That too tells me the joint will be tight.   


I used the lattice jig, pictured, left to join them up.  It worked precisely as advertised.  I glued the seam (using titebond) rubbed it until the glue began to set, then put it in the jig.  I wrapped the ropes in a criss-cross pattern loosely over the jig, then the loose ends I wrapped around one end, then drove the wedge shaped slats under the criss-crossed ropes.  It pulled the plates together sufficiently, and kept them dead flat while the glue dried.   You'll note there is no wax paper under the slats, but the slats themselves were well coated with wax before the glue up. 


The jointed plates are pictured at right, and you are looking at the exterior side.  After all the fussiness with the making of the rosette tiles, it was almost shameful how easily the plates went together with the jig.  You will note that there is a slight difference in color on either side of the center line.  The plate on the right has oxidized some, but as I do the finished sanding, that difference should disappear.  The next step will be the leveling of the top and the inlay of the rosette.  If all goes according to plan, I will tackle that in the coming weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment