Monday, November 14, 2011

Apothecary Cabinet & Bench


I have finished two new projects for my wife, the apothecary cabinet and a bench to match the dining room table. Both were accomplished with more or less standard woodworking techniques.

On the apothecary cabinet, I built the carcass, then fit the drawers and doors to the cabinet. The cabinet was slightly out of square, so that required some fiddling, but it came together adequate for my wife's purpose -- having many drawers to store the sorts of things that one can't find when one needs them, everything from batteries to dog brushes. Since it was a utility cabinet, I made it from the cheapest materials possible, standard construction grade white pine. The multi-colored finish was my wife's contribution.



On the bench, it is basic mission style, with perhaps the exception of the through tenon on the stretcher. It is a compromise between mission style chairs and a dining room table with a trestle base, which has a similar through tenon (intended to imitate a Japanese joinery technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment