Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Great Flood




I have, or had, all the tools to build guitars. I say had because we have recently moved from Lombard, IL, a suburb of Chicago, to Draper, UT, a suburb of Salt Lake City. The move itself was not a happy one. It was motivated by the loss of my job and set in motion by a flood. It put our house, and my shop, under about six foot of water, and left chaos as it ebbed. I was able to salvage many of the tools, but not all. The motors on my table saw and band saw seized solid with rust. I've replaced the motor on the table saw, and with patience, and plenty of WD40 and wet-dry sandpaper, I've brought it back almost to new. The same with the band saw, with the exception that, as I write, the motor is on back order. All of the templates, jigs, and molds, however, were lost. In effect, I am starting from scratch, and will approach my path to the perfect guitar with a beginner's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment